Hands-On Powerboat TrainingSign up now for the powerboat courses we offer at Cruising Florida Powerboat Academy in St. Petersburg, Florida, and create a learning experience that will last a lifetime. We employ a unique “underway floating classroom” approach which places students at the helm of a training vessel with a USCG-licensed and Recreational Powerboat Association (RPBA)-certified instructor. Providing additional insurance discounts upon completion of the courses.
RPBA-CertifiedTo become one of the RPBA Power Boat Schools, our academy accomplished all the rigorous qualification standards which are internationally recognized. Our RPBA-certified courses offer hands-on training for power boaters of all experience levels.
NASBLA-ApprovedThe courses we provide are all approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA). Our safe boating courses meet the known mandatory education and licensing requirements in all the jurisdictions of the United States.
ClassesOur approach is unique because you are aboard a "Floating Classroom." We offer the following classes:
• Twin Inboard • Stern Drive Outboard
Training LocationsJoin our classes held at The Renaissance Vinoy Resort. Make it a weekend getaway and enjoy the downtown St. Petersburg waterfront, restaurants, nightlife, as well as the following amenities: The Marriott Vinoy® Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
• Heated Pool • Hot Tubs • State-of-the-Art Fitness Center • Steam, Sauna, and Indoor Whirlpools • Full-Service Day Spa and Salon • Room Service Directly to Your Boat
Earn Power Boat Certification with the Recreational Power Boat AssociationJoin our powerboating classes now at Cruising Florida Powerboat Academy in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Twin Inboard DrivesTwin Inboard Drives are two independent, side-by-side engines within a single boat and are very effective in close quarters. This effective twin drive setup uses two inboard engines, two propellers and two rudders.
• 37ft Fontaine Pajot Power Catamaran "Sweet Caroline" or "Exhale" • Weekday - $995.50; Weekend/Holiday - $1285.25 • Captain Rate: $185.00 • A $125 processing fee will be added per person if taking the certification.
Stern Drives/OutboardsStern Drives / Outboard's are the majority of powerboats. Stern Drives are also called Inboard / Outboard (I / O). Unlike the Twin or Single Inboard which has a propeller set at a fixed angle and must rely on a rudder for turning, these engine types steer by pivoting the propeller to the right or left. Stern Drives and Outboards can also be tilted up or down to trim the boat. In the case of the Outboard, the entire engine pivots, while in the case of the Stern Drive or I / O, the "Inboard" engine remains in place while the "Outboard" stern drive unit, mounted on the outside of the transom, pivots. With either engine, the propeller wash is directed to the right or left and the water flow, known as directed thrust, forces the boat to turn.
• Perfectly restored classic 1987 Seasquirt 20+ Center Console • Day: $595 • Captain Rate: $185 • A $125 processing fee will be added per person if taking the certification.
• 7% tax will be added on. Fuel and gratuity are not included and will be separate charges.